VEGAN & GLUTEN-FREE
Tempeh Spaghetti Sauce
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup diced onions (~1 med. onion)
1, 8 oz. pack tempeh, crumbled
2 cups diced green pepper (~2 med. peppers)
8 oz. diced mushrooms (~2 cups)
2, 14.5 oz. cans diced tomatoes
½, 6 oz. can tomato paste
½ cup red wine
2 tsp. oregano leaves
1 tsp. salt
Optional garnishes – Fresh basil, grated parmesan or nutritional yeast and crushed red pepper flakes
½ cup olive oil, divided
salt & pepper, to taste
Shortcut! Use fresh zucchini noodles from our Produce Department!
1. To a medium sauté pan, add olive oil and heat over medium-low heat.
2. Sauté onions in olive oil until onions are clear (2–3 minutes).
3. Add tempeh and sauté until all tempeh is browned (5–6 minutes).
4. Add mushrooms and green pepper and saute until mushrooms are no longer “pink” (3–5 minutes).
5. Add the two cans of diced tomatoes, tomato paste, red wine, oregano and salt.
6. Bring to a low boil then simmer uncovered on low for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally to ensure nothing burns.
7. While sauce is cooking, start preparing your “zoodles” (zucchini noodles).
8. Using a spiralizer, spiralize the 4 zucchini into ribbons.
9. To a medium sauté pan, add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and about ¼–1/3 of the zucchini ribbons (depending on the size of your pan). Sauté for 3–5 minutes over medium heat, until al dente or desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Set aside cooked zoodles and repeat the process in batches with remaining zucchini noodles.
11. To serve, split zucchini noodles among 4 bowls. Top with tempeh spaghetti sauce and garnish with fresh chopped basil, grated parmesan, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional).