Gluten free, dairy free and vegan
½ cup steel-cut oats*
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic
2/3 cup water or vegetable broth
¼ tsp. salt
3 bunches curly parsley
2 stalks green onion, sliced thin
½ cup packed fresh mint, chopped fine
½ tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup chickpeas**, rinsed and drained
6″ piece English cucumber, peeled & cut small
1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
¼ cup lemon juice (~1–2 lemons)
1 Tbsp. lemon zest (~1–2 lemons)
*sub ~1 cup cooked grain of choice such as quinoa, bulgur, brown rice, etc.
**or sub any other bean such as cannellini, fava, black bean, etc.
- Start by preparing your savory steel-cut oats, add all ingredients to a nonstick two-quart lidded pot and cover. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 min. Turn off heat and let rest covered for 10 min., then fluff with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- While oats are cooking, prepare tabbouleh filling. Remove thick stems from your parsley, and roughly chop remaining parsley/stems until fine. Add to a large bowl.
- Add chopped mint and thinly sliced green onion to bowl and season with ½ tsp. salt. Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil and stir.
- In a small bowl, add the chickpeas, cucumber and cherry tomato. Season with salt (~¼ tsp.), stir, and add to the large bowl with chopped parsley, mint, and green onion.
- Finish tabbouleh by stirring in cooled savory steel-cut oats, lemon juice and lemon zest. Season with fresh ground black pepper and additional salt if needed.