From the Spring Share 2017 – Somali Dishes Inspired by Our Community
Recipes provided by Sanaag Restaurant located at 3007 Cedar Ave. and the Somali Museum of Minnesota. The Somali Museum of Minnesota is the recipient of one of our WedgeShare grants this year and is the only institution in North America devoted to preserving and celebrating Somali traditional culture and art. The Somali Museum builds understanding between Somalis and non-Somalis through art.
- 3.3 lbs. beef stew meat, cut into small chunks
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups water
- Salt to taste
- Cook the meat, onion, garlic, salt and water in a covered large saucepan over low heat for about an hour. The water will have almost evaporated by this time. Add more water to keep the beef from drying out.
- Add the spices and tomato paste, and cook for about ten minutes until thoroughly absorbed.
- Serve with rice, any kind of bread or a salad.