Sometimes, all we really need at the end of a long day is…breakfast. So go on, indulge. Have your eggs and eat them, too, even if it’s after six. But maybe save the coffee for when you really need it.
Monday: Meatless & Fancy Free with Mixed Mushroom Strata
Take advantage of the weekend’s extra prep time and put this together Sunday night. You’ll be glad you did when you can get Monday’s meal on the table with just the push of a few oven buttons.
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 pound of mushrooms, sliced (try a mix of button, crimini and beech, or whatever is available)
- 3 Tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 12 large eggs
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 8 oz. goat cheese
- 1 cup gruyere, grated
1. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add shallots and sauté, mixing often for 2–3 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until tender and golden, about 10 minutes. Add fresh thyme and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and milk together with a bit more salt and pepper.
3. In a large bowl, add the cubed bread, mushroom mixture and cheeses. Stir to mix. Pour in half the egg mixture and give a gentle stir.
4. Transfer into a well greased baking dish and pour the remaining egg mixture over the top. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
5. When you get home the next day, turn the oven to 400°F. Bake covered for 40 minutes. Lower the heat to 375°, remove the foil and cook uncovered for 20–30 minutes more until puffed and golden and firm when you give it a little shake. Serve immediately.