from Cultivate Spring 2018 – Southeast Asian Adventures in Flavor
Char Siu Wet Rub
4–5 cloves garlic
2 tsp. chopped shallots
2 tsp. chopped ginger
2 tsp. lemongrass
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. Chinese five spice*
1 tsp. chili flakes
1 tsp. oyster sauce
1 tsp. fish sauce
1/4 cup vinegar
2 tsp. beet powder*
1/3 cup canola oil
2 lb pork shoulder (butterflied, make sure it has a good amount of fat)
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. black pepper
fresh raw vegetables and herbs like;
- fresh mint
*Find Chinese five spice and beet powder in bulk at the Wedge.
1. Put all wet rub ingredients into Vitamix (or any blender). Blend until it becomes a smooth paste. You may need to add 1/4 cup of water to get it mixed well.
2. Rub salt and pepper on pork.
3. Smear wet rub on pork (save about 1/3 cup of rub).
4. Let it marinade for at least 6 hours or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 325°F.
6. Put pork on a sheet tray and cook for 35–45 mins.
7. Pull pork out and apply remaining rub.
8. Turn heat up to 500°F and return pork to oven.
9. Cook pork for 10 min. to get the outside crispy and caramelized.
10. Pull out, slice thin and serve with rice noodles, fresh raw vegetables and herbs.